Sunday, June 14, 2015

Turbulence and fear of flying


"Ladies and gentlemen, due to poor weather conditions the captain has turned on the seat belt signal. Kindly return to you seats and fasten your seatbelts. Use of washrooms is now prohibited"

Every time I fly, I dread looking up at the ceiling and finding that the "fasten seat belts" sign has been turned on. For some reason turbulence in aircrafts really freaks me out - no matter how big or small, whenever the ride gets bumpy I close my eyes, clench my fists and listen to music at attrociously high volumes. And it is not the shakes that really get to me - it's the feeling that you're falling when the aircraft loses altitude.

I've researched this on the internet and have read several points that point to the fact that I am probably overthinking -

  • Aircrafts are built to take a terrible amount of punishment - it would take more than a gust of air to knock the aircraft out of the air.
  • Even if an aircraft's engines shut down, it can glide for quite a while and can attempt an emergency landing
  • Turbulence is totally normal and pilots are prepared for it beforehand
  • Air travel is the safest form of travel - you are more likely to die in a car accident than in a plane crash
Even though my "research" has helped me calm my nerves down a bit, I still do get that adrenaline rush whenever I encounter turbulence - thanks to which I can't sleep in flights either. I think it is more of a control thing - the fact that I am cruising 30,000 feet in the air in the metal container which is being driven by 2 people and in whose motion I have no say whatsoever is probably what gets to me.

It is getting better with each flight though. I'll just have to put my faith in science and technology.
Oh, and yes. The one song that reminds me the most of my fears is "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Hope you got your things together.
Hope you are quite prepared to die.
Looks like we're in for nasty weather.
One eye is taken for an eye.
Well don't go around tonight,
Well it's bound to take your life,
There's a bad moon on the rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment